Weird & Wonderful 32

 

W & W 32 - track list and notes

A playlist curated by Jim Crist, Bruce McGuire & Jim Oliver aka Kirk, Spock & McCoy




Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Introductory Audio Production by Bill McGuire
Apple Link by Todd Anderson


1 Wood Chickens - Hex On Me
college town punk country - i can smell the cheap beer in my hair just hearing the opening chords (O))))

2 Jeff Rosenstock - DOUBT
My mind has been boggled for years by how much music Jeff Rosenstock puts out. I don't think there's a flavor of DIY music he's left untouched since he started putting things out on his Quote Unquote Records "label." Ska with brief rap interludes? Jeff's your guy. HELLMODE is his forthcoming collection of screamalong jams and I love this track. (O))))

3 Ride - Perfect Time
A band I had the pleasure to work with in the early 90s, and I can safely say they were one of the best live things going. Just mind melting live sets. This was the last song on their 2nd EP, Play. Released by Creation records in April 1990. Let it swirl over you. (B)

4 JJUUJJUU - Cold Light
Levitation 2023 happened a few weeks ago, and while I did not attend, lineups were scoured and new bands found. JJUUJJUU has been one of my favorites so far. This song is the closer to their 2018 release Zionic Mud. (JC)

5 Smoking Popes - Madison
Good ole Smoking Popes... Whenever I need upbeat and rockin' midwestern guitar jams about unrequited love... Accept no substitutions. (O))))

6 Blue Oyster Cult - Then Came The Last Days Of May
Been spending a significant chunk of time in western Wisconsin taverns this summer and fall, which has led me to spending a lot of money on the Touch Tunes to drown out the terrible new country music that is always playing. This track is one of my go to's. (JC)

7 Willy Mitchell And The Desert River Band - Kill'n Your Mind
Found this Light in the Attic compilation that spotlights music written and performed by indigenous artists between 1965-1988. The whole thing has been in constant rotation this summer. This live recording from Willy Mitchell and the Desert River Band always makes me stop whatever I'm doing when it plays. (JC)

8 David Y Fernando ft Grupo Solido - La Razon
Cumbia cover of a Hoobastank song that I've hated since the first moment I heard it. I fuckin love this  version and I think it's just because everything sounds good when two dudes are harmonizing over an accordion. (O))))

9 Daniel Avery - Drone Logic
My man DA. Modern electronic sounds that work on the dance floor, the car, the sitting room, while you try to sleep. This track is now 10 years old (from his debut album) and has a freshness that really gets me excited to crank it up. Avery is from London and this album was released by Phantasy Sound. He releases more new music than any of the other artists I love today. (B)

10 James Brown - Stone To The Bone
Another song that's been on heavy rotation at The Crow Bar in Webster. (JC)

11 Wicked Lady - The Axeman Cometh
Rifftacular! Nothing was ever released while this hard rock trio was together. All the songs came out over 20 years later. But better late than never, right? Hard rock, blues metal, Sabbathy no doubt. From Northampton England.  (B)

12 Slift - Ilion
Brand new French hard rock. Title track from a new album coming in early 2024. I have included them in these mixes before, but this track is a whole other world. One big sonic slab that leaves you overwhelmed and thrilled as opposed to power punched. Sub Pop will put this out in America. (B)

Comments