Weird & Wonderful 33

 


W & W 33 - track list and notes

A playlist curated by Jim Oliver, Jim Crist & Bruce McGuire aka Greasy, Grimy and Gopher Guts

Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Introductory Audio Production by Bill McGuire
Apple Link by Todd Anderson


01 William Tyler - I'm Gonna Live Forever (If it Kills Me)
Saw William Tyler and his band, the Impossible Truth a few weeks back at the Turf Club. It was a fantastic show. William described this particular song as Waylon Jennings meets Krautrock, which is a good summary. Every dad with kids aged 8-17 was there. (JC)

02 Sleater-Kinney - I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone
In 1996 a friend called me and said, "You need to see this ripppppin' rock band cuz you will love them." You got that right. I got on a lot of airplanes and saw them a whole bunch in the next 6 months. This amazing tune from from their 2nd album Call The Doctor, released in 1996 by the small indie label Chainsaw Records. This  Portland duo of Corin Tucker and Carrie Brownstein is still going strong and just blasted out a new record called Little Rope - still screechin' up a storm. (B)

03 Neu! - Negativland
Its 1971 and you live in Dusseldorf, West Germany. (Imagine how destitute they must have felt.) You and your buddy have just quit the yet unknown band Kraftwerk. What are you gonna do now? You are gonna get with yer other buddy Conny Plank to produce a series of recordings for you featuring extremely minimalistic & metronomic guitar and drums, that will be a huge influence in about 25 years. Most copies of your 3 albums will only be consumed as bootlegs. This particular track is from that first album, the one with no title (I assume they never planned on a 2nd and 3rd.) (B)

04 Golpe - Ogni Giorno Malattia
The record store Extreme Noise in Minneapolis has a nice Instagram feed. And sometimes for inexplicable reasons a record they post catches my eye, and then my ears. Italian hardcore from late 2023 as a 7" EP called Assuefazione Quotidiana on the Richmond VA label Beach Impediment Records. (B)

05 Dig Deep  - Heavy Heart
Very straight-ahead bluegrass from Wisconsin. Saw these guys for the first time last year and they're my favorite blend of traditional string band music with just a hint of rock aesthetic to give it a little more edge. (O))))

06 Prof ft Redman - Pack A Lunch
Two goofball rappers I love collaborate and turn out the perfect expression of both of them. I love this song and I keep playing it over the PA at kids hockey games hoping people don't get mad at the swears because the beat sounds so great over shitty speakers in an ice rink. (O))))

07 Bruiser Wolf - Looney Tunes
I used to listen to A LOT of rap music, then one day, I just stopped. Don't quite know what happened, but it suddenly just didn't do it for me anymore. Every now and then an album comes out that gets me, and My Stories Have Stories by Bruiser Wolf did that. Super unique delivery and voice, great wordplay, and production that warrants listening on headphones. The entire record is solid, too, which should be celebrated. (JC)

08 Buio Omega - I WANNA CRASH MY CAR (ON PURPOSE)
Grungy punk from Minneapolis. Been seeing these folks around town a lot lately and their energy is so messy and hard. (O))))

09 Kim Gordon - Bye Bye
Again. Yup. Her. I am a huge fan. Did you read her book Girl In A Band? You should. Crank up with rhythmic noise blast. Gritty beauty. To be released in March 2024 by Matador Records as part of an album called The Collective. (B)

10 Cian Nugent - I've Been Down
Listened to this whole album "She Brings Me Back to the Land of the Living" a lot as the year came to a close. This song in particular was a standout for me. Got a consistent steady rhythm and the guitar solo towards the middle of the song couldn't be any better, in my opinion at least. (JC)

11 Ellen O - Few Slept. I Ate Spring
This tune was played on Radio K (in Minneapolis) the other day, it immediately had me transfixed. Dense textures and harmonies. Even stayed in the car to let it finish. When I looked more into Ellen O I discovered that she committed suicide in 2019. Make sure you are checking in on your friends and loved ones, and ask for help if you need it. (JC)

12 Wayne Kramer - Down On The Ground
RIP Brother Wayne. Everybody knows the MC5 and the outrageous moment of power they had in Detroit, but it's sad to me more people aren't familiar with Wayne's 90's output. The guy was a really amazing performer and to my knowledge this is the only live album he put out during that period where he was living in LA and doing side projects with, like, every big rock and roller. (O))))

Comments