Weird & Wonderful 29





W & W 29 - track list and notes:

A playlist curated by Jim Crist, Bruce McGuire & Jim Oliver aka Nobody Knows




Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Introductory Audio Production by Bill McGuire
Apple Link by Todd Anderson


01 The Brokedowns - Stay Calm Stay Cruel
 I rely on the Brokedowns for two things: sub-2-minute jams that rock very hard and leave me wanting more, and things that make me laugh about the miserable state of the American working class. Their new record delivers on that in spades. Go get it. O)))

02 Jeshi ft Obongjayar - Protein
This is a major earworm. Sorry in advance. If its gonna live in my head, I'm requesting some company. JC

03 TREASVRE - In My Arms
Goth shoegaze post-pretty-much-everything from the Bay Area. This sounds really good to me right now as we EMERGE FROM THE DARKEST DEPTHS OF MIDWINTER, CHEEKS ROSY RED WITH BLOOD. For real, though... It's good and the poppier vocal and rhythm elements sit with the darkness of the instrumentation in a fun way. I just discovered these folks and they're cool. O)))

04 OFF - War Above Los Angeles
Hot damn, they really did it this time. A hard, blazing mix of punk and metal that completely tears apart everything the band had done prior. And this line up of musicians is by far the best they have ever had. It had been nearly 9 years since the previous album and the evolution is perfect. From the album Free LSD, and released last fall on Fat Possuum Records - Oxford Mississippi's finest. B

05 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Wanted Man
Obsessed with Elvis! From the 1985 album First Born Is Dead, released in America by Homestead Records. This was the Bad Seeds 2nd album after the Birthday Party split up, and the first to harness the sound that is still their signature to this day. I saw them play in Chicago on this tour and it wasn't as good as the band would become a few years alter, but they were still very special. B

06 Sleaford Mods - UK Grim
The minimal duo (drum machine & talking/shouting/barking) are about to crank out their 12th album since 2007. Can many others claim that rate? They are pissed off. The government stinks. Rich people stink. Poor people need our help. But they say in so much more clever ways than I ever could. Album of the same name as this track coming in mid-March 2023 via Rough Trade. B

07 Magic Shoppe - Trip Inside This House
Brought to my attention by my good friend Jon, this track should be listened to loud. It's seemingly simple, but there is a denseness and warmth to it that is hard to describe. Dunno how this missed me when it was released in 2015. JC

08 Los Amigos Invisibles - Eh Eh Oh Oh
I fell in love with these guys when David Byrne's Luaka Bop label put out their 1998 record "The New Sound of the Venezuelan Gozadera." Just wall to wall jams on there, and these guys are still knocking out the irresistible disco killers 25 years later. This track is from their 2022 record Cool Love. O)))

09 Dan Deacon - When I Was Done Dying
Watching the German sci-fi/detective/weirdo show on Netflix called Dark, this fascinating song came on at the end of an episode, just before the credits ran. And I knew the name from previous tracks I had enjoyed. This one you can't ignore, even if you hate it - it is bubbly oddness right in your face. From Baltimore. This song is from the 2015 album Gliss Riffer, on the Domino label. B

10 Little Simz - Gorilla
Hooooly shit this song is soooooo good. The beat is catchy as hell, the lyrics are tricky and witty. If I had to come up with one gripe, it would be that this song doesn't just go on forever and ever and ever. JC

11 Gitkin - El Millonario
No clue how I came across this song. Great punchy instrumental track that gives big spaghetti western vibes. Persistent and chugging along, with a dramatic flourish at the end. JC

12 Alice Merton - Waste My Life
It's so rare that I listen to upbeat pop music, but I recently saw a brilliant video where someone put the nightmarish subway scene from Possession (1981) to Robyn's "Call Your Girlfriend." First it made me laugh and laugh, then it made me want to listen to a bunch of dance pop and let the algorithms show me a bunch I'd never heard of. Fun to do now and then. O)))

Comments