Weird & Wonderful 27

 


W & W 27 - track list and notes:

A playlist curated by Bruce McGuire, Jim Oliver & Jim Crist aka Tres Cutie Pies




Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Introductory Audio Production by Bill McGuire


01 Tobzy Imole Giwa ft Fela 2 - Awon Omo Ope Mi
Tobzy brings us modern Lagos blasted through with electronic energy mixed with the vibe of Africa. Combining the styles of afrobeats, gqom, amapiano, techno and baile funk. This is the lead track from the album Cruise Beat Album, which came out at the end of Summer '22. Yet another ground breaking release from the label Nyege Nyege - they never stop blowing my mind. (B)

02 Stockhausen & the Amplified Riot - Hunky Punk
Never let anybody tell you it takes more than one person to make energetic garage rock. (O))))

03 King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Magma
Jazzy little tune from King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. They are releasing THREE records in October, absolutely unreal stuff. This is from their first of the three. I picked this song because it's had a way of crawling under my skin and getting stuck in there. (JC)

04 The Walker Brothers - The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore
This song is borderline corny. Three Americans, who aren't brothers, could not break the British Invasion deadlock of the American radio and record charts so they simply moved to England and "imported" their music back to America. Bingo! One of their many hit singles, this one released by Philips in 1966. What sound them and producer John Franz created too. (B)

05 Della Mae - The Way It Was Before
Hell yeah, anticapitalistic country music. These ladies blasted a trench through the Boats and Bluegrass festival that I go to every year. They're Grammy-nominated, so it's not like they're some secret, but I wasn't prepared for how great they'd be live. (O))))

06 Dandy Livingstone - Rudy, A Message To You
A newly reissued Jamaican ska superhit from 1967. Originally released on the Ska Beat label and for the 55th anniversary (don't ask me) Trojan has commissioned a video to go with this beautiful track. The horn section makes my heart come alive. (B)

07 Lil Wayne - Fireman
Every now and then I remember this song, and how crazy the verses are on it. For a while, Lil Wayne was on another planet, and this marked the start of that time. (JC)

08 Elijah Minnelli - Slats
For the life of me I can't remember who turned me on to this, and its only been a few weeks since I first cranked it up. From what I can gather its a London guy using all kinds of fake names and "village council grant money gibberish", smothered in clever PR bullshit to make amazing minimal tracks featuring bits and pieces of dub reggae, cumbia, electronics and pitch shifters. Self released in Aug 2021. (B)

09 Chat Pile - Wicked Puppet Dance
This album came out this summer to a pretty universal acclaim in the noise/metal community. I put these guys on a level with the Cows in terms of the level of artistry and creativity they bring to music that's always at least partly sounding like chaos. I've been blasting this in headphones for months. (O))))

10 Dead Meadow - Dusty Nothing
Straightforward rock and roll from Dead Meadow. What else do you need? (JC)

11 Panda Bear - Danger
New Panda Bear album, made in conjunction with Sonic Boom from Spacemen 3 fame. Super dense and layered, which you expect from Panda Bear, with all sorts of neat elements added by Sonic Boom. The layered vocals in the chorus do the trick for me. (JC)

12 The Pretty Flowers - Temple of Gunpowder
I'm on a jangly indie guitars kick as I'm picking these tracks and this group of folks from a grip of different LA bands are flush with that. Great pick me up. (O))))

Comments