Weird & Wonderful 26

 



W & W 26 - track list and notes:

A playlist curated by Jim Crist, Bruce McGuire & Jim Oliver aka Barf & The Bags



Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Introductory Audio Production by Bill McGuire


01 Blood Command - S01E02.Return.Of.The.Arsonist.720p.HDTV.x264
This Norwegian outfit was a discovery of mine on a Bandcamp Friday where if I'm having a slow day at work I basically peruse other people's record collections all day." This guy likes Khemmis, too. Let's see what else he bought this morning." This driving, poppy punk with a liberal scoop of melodic death metal instrumentation on top really caught my attention. (O))))

02 Divide And Dissolve - It's Really Complicated
My friend Will saw this band play at Rock the Garden and told me they were a Weird and Wonderful band if he ever heard one, and he wasn't wrong. Their music sounds like chewing glass in the best way possible. (JC)

03 Shamir - Gay Agenda
I wasn't familiar with Shamir's work at all until I saw a mention of the show he played at the Turf Club recently and upon checking him out I realized a bunch of music writers I follow on twitter hand been talking about him for months. Just completely slept on it. Shameful. Anyway, this is one of the less conventionally poppy songs on his most recent record, but the whole thing is fascinating. (O))))

04 Orchestra Gold - Djama
The album is called African Psychedelic Rock, don't know how much more I need to say about this. (JC)

05 Pieta Brown - Is/Was
The only time in my life I've ever had a neighbor come tell me to turn my music down was when I came home sad from a bar at 1AM and put on a Pieta Brown CD to make me feel even sadder. I don't check in on her enough. (O))))

06 Boris - Question 1
Brand new music from the never-slow-down Japanese rock trio. The latest album is called Heavy Rocks (and this is the 3rd time they have used this title for an album.) Out in September 2022 on Relapse Records, What do you think of wild flying rock, snarling noise and feedback? God damn I LOVE feedback! (B)

07 My Idea - Popstar
Heard this song on Radio K a while back, and it knocked me off guard. Its a short and punchy song that immediately gets stuck in your head. (JC)

08 Tan Cologne - Monsoon
This song gives me big, big Cocteau Twins vibes, if it was made in a desert. Tan Cologne is from New Mexico, and I've been really into their last release Cave Vaults on the Moon in New Mexico for the last few months. Its great as background music, but also worth a intimate listen with a good pair of headphones. (JC)

09 Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Spitting Off the Edge of the World
NYC modern rock band that started in 2000, put out 4 albums and numerous other songs, then went away only to return now, 10 years later with a whole new album Cool It Down on the Secretly Canadian label. Still on the front foot, still very hip, still enjoyable. That doesn't always happen after a decade away. (B)

10 Mountain Goats - Bleed Out
Last track on John Darnielle's most recent record. That guy is an absolute master of writing songs that are textually real bummers when you read the words, but just really uplifting and fun when you're listening to the song. This is the most whatever you call that of his work since his masterpiece of the form, "No Children." (O))))

11 The Modern Lovers - Modern World
Via Boston MA from one of the great post-rock, pre-punk albums ever made. Released in 1976 after the original band broke up, recorded as demo tapes in 71 & 72. These songs were pieced together to make this "album" for the Beserkley label. Fronted by Jonathan Richman with Jerry Harrison, keyboards, left to join Talking Heads, and David Robinson, drums, left to join the Cars. (B)

12 REM - Carnival Of Sorts (Box Cars)
This turned 40 in late August 2022. I was recently reminded that when my friends and I first heard REM our conclusion was that it sounded a like Country N Western Simon & Garfunkel. This song is from their 2nd release, a 5 song EP from summer 1982 called Chronic Town. IRS Records put this out. (B)

Comments