Weird & Wonderful 21

 



SILK SCREEN

W & W 21 - track list and notes:

A playlist curated by Bruce McGuire, Jim Oliver & Jim Crist aka The Road Crew For Don Knotts On Ice




Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Introductory Audio Production by Bill McGuire


01 Big Business - Out Loud
I couldn't find a YouTube link for the new fifth Big Biz tour EP, so I listened to this one a couple more times and this is my favorite song on the fourth one. O)))

02 Sly & The Family Stone - Trip To Your Heart
I have very little musical experience with Sly & The Family Stone other than a couple of songs and understanding their influence on other musical artists. So I was super intrigued when I heard this song on Purple Current. Its catchy, but also sinister. Its funky, but also freaky. A super deranged love song from 1967. JC

03 Khemmis - Living Pyre
It's wild to me that I haven't put Khemmis on a list yet. Have you never played Dungeons and Dragons? Khemmis songs are what it feels like. O)))

04 Califone - Snow Angel V2
Beautiful haunting old fashioned modern American rock music flooded with subtlety and soaking in a pond of mood. Have you ever made a snow angel yourself. Its fun. From the album Echo Mine released in 2020 on Jealous Butcher Records. B

05 Miedo Total - Suffer
I'm trying to listen to more abrasive industrial dance music because I think it's good for me. O)))

06 Chromatics - Shadow
I completely missed the first 16 years of the Chromatics. I saw the name around but it never grabbed me. But when I saw Twin Peaks: The Return  Episode 2 - The Stars Turn and a Time Presents Itself  Live at the Roadhouse, it all changed. This is the song they performed on the show and it hit my like a lit stick of dynamite - plush and dreamy underground pop. A single in 2015 from the label Italians Do It Better. You can also find the song on a reissue of the bands album Cherry. B

07 Brigitte Bardot & Serge Gainsbourg - Bonnie And Clyde
Only in France. At one time a man considered to be among the countries most unattractive was married to a woman considered to be among the worlds most attractive. And they sang an odd little pop duet about American outlaws Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow. From the Gainsbourg album Initials BB released in 1968 by the Philips label. B

08 Xenia Rubinos - Cogelo Suave
This song has been in heavy rotation on Radio K recently, and its catchy as hell! Every time I hear it, I find myself humming it for days afterwards. Bonus points because my kid likes it, too. JC

09 Velvet Underground - Pale Blue Eyes
On the groundbreaking New York bands 3rd (and untitled) album they dropped almost all of the "difficult" elements of their sound and crafted somber lingering psychedelic songs of a serious almost loving nature. This song is a prime example. Linger on. Released in 1969 by MGM Records. B

10 Emily Robb - Live At Friendship Speedwell
Within the past few months I saw a Bandcamp tweet about Emily Robb's new record. I forget the description exactly, but it immediately got my interest. And then I forgot to check it out until very late one Saturday night. Oh man, it rips. Just a super sludgy, hypnotic track that makes you lose your sense of space and time. JC

11 Taqbir - Aisha Qandisha
Arabic-language feminist punk rock from Morocco. I dove into this band while I was doing soccer dork merch research and learned that they were selling a t-shirt with their band name printed on the inside front collar so you could tie the shirt around your head as a niqab and have the band name (it's a word that translates to ordering someone to "grow up!") on your forehead. PUNK AS FUCK. O)))

12 Bitchin Bajas - Angels And Deamons At Play
An updated version of Sun Ra's original. Saw these guys live once and it did not do the trick for me, but have found myself listening to this record more and more recently. Maybe it just doesn't translate well to listening to while standing up? JC

Comments