Weird & Wonderful Playlist 19

 



W & W 19 - track list and notes:

A playlist curated by Jim Oliver, Jim Crist & Bruce McGuire aka Alphagammazeta



Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Introductory Audio Production by Bill McGuire

01 Embryo - Wajang Woman
Been on a huge Afrobeat/Caribbean music kick recently. Don't know how I came across this one, but its a perfect combination of funk and disco. The horns and synth parts on this are amazing. I wish it was 10 minutes long, but I generally wish that for all good songs under 4 minutes. JC

02 The Flaming Lips - Mother I've Taken LSD
This track is about a year old now, and comes from the album American Head, the bands 16th album. Making psychedelic rock music while based in Oklahoma City is just as much an anomaly today as when I first heard this band back in 1989. This and the previous 11 albums were released by Warner Bros records, which is how I came to be so close with them. B

03 Frankie and the Witch Fingers - Thinking About You
Its either funk or lo-fi garage rock for me these days, apparently. While on my Levitation Sessions kick, I discovered Frankie and the Witch Fingers. Their sound is more straightforward than Osees or Ty Segall, but that's okay. I like the persistence of this song, doesn't do anything crazy, just does everything well. Love the harmonies, particularly at the end of the song. JC

04 Osees - Destroyed Fortress Reappears - Live
Levitation sessions have been driving me through the fall. Struggling with motivation to do something mundane? Put on the Osees Levitation session, crank the volume, and forget what you're doing while you're doing it. Chose this particular track because of the spacey bit in the middle. Its one of those musical moments that makes you stop and forget where you're going. JC

05 Sonic Youth - Shadow Of A Doubt
The great anti-rock rock band Sonic Youth was born in the post-punk noise era of underground New York City music in 1981. On this song the brash ringing guitars intertwine so perfectly with the raspy whispered vocals, from their 3rd album. The EVOL/Sister era is the pinnacle of SY in almost every way except popularity. Originally released by SST Records in 1986. B

06 Shellac - Steady As She Goes
Never enough Shellac. It's awesome how an audio psychopath like Steve Albini can make scarequotes-simple music sound so rich. O)))

07 Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around
I heard Rick Rubin telling a story about how this was one of the last songs Johnny Cash ever wrote before he died. It was cool to see Cash have such a strong late career resurgence, one in which he sang some songs you never would have figured an old country guy would attempt. This is the title track to the 4th of 6 albums Cash made with Rubin producing for his American Recordings label. B

08 Little Feat - Spanish Moon
Again with the horns, Jim. This is different though. Instead of funky synths, there is also a funky organ. This song packs a good punch, but it just kinda fades out at the end. It seems like it could have gone on forever if they wanted it to, but no, I'll just have to imagine that in my own head. JC

09 G.B.H. - Knife Edge
Driving my kids around this weekend my oldest asked if I knew what kind of music Machinegun Kelly makes, and when I told him it was pop he told me I was wrong because MGK makes punk rock music. I'm not being super aggro about it, but the music we're going to be playing around the house definitely will have a harder edge to it for a while. O)))

10 Sombre Arcane - A Day's March Through The Ancient Elven Forest
I know during spooky season many people like to watch and rewatch horror movies, but my tendency is to check out your darker, ambient music like dungeon synth and other stuff that's basically background music for playing Dungeons and Dragons. Here's a wonderful example. O)))

11 Gully Boys - Neopet Graveyard
These ladies have a new EP out that's way, way more produced and ambitious than their previous work, and it's great and you should listen to it, but I still like their previous punkier, fuzzier record. As I write this this band got their van stolen in Minneapolis a couple days ago and TC twitter is trying to find it. LAST SEEN HEADED NORTH ON HIAWATHA AT 9:45ISH ON 10/19/21. O)))

12 Cabaret Voltaire - Crackdown (radio edit)
Richard H Kirk, one half of the duo Cabaret Voltaire passed away in late September of 2021, and times like that always send me back to find what it was that I loved about someone's music. He and partner Stephen Millander cooked up some excellent raw electronic club/bedroom songs with a deeply distrustful, detached, cold, and anti-authoritarian attitude. This song is a shortened version of the original version which can be found on an album also called Crackdown, released in 1983 on the excellent Some Bizarre label. B

Comments