Weird & Wonderful 20




MEOW

W & W 20 - track list and notes:

A playlist curated by Jim Crist, Bruce McGuire & Jim Oliver aka Ulysses Everett McGill, Delmar O'Donnell, & Pete Hogwallop




Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Introductory Audio Production by Bill McGuire


01 The Slits - Heard It Through The Grapevine
A bendy, slinky, funked-out plough through the Marvin Gaye classic as performed by London underground punks in 1979. Produced by England's Jamaican dub master Dennis Bovell who found these new upstarts very exciting and unpredictable to work with. Released as the B-side to the bands debut single Typical Girls by Island Records. B

02 Tweak Bird - The Future
Heavy psych from LA. Driving power duo that supplies big, fuzzy riffs that always sound haunted by tiny weird ghosts back in the mix. O)))

03 No Joy - E
This is the opener to No Joy's 2013 record Wait To Pleasure. 8 years ago, this would not be something that I would have enjoyed, but as time has gone on, I find it hitting the spot now. The song does a great job building, getting louder and louder as it goes on. JC

04 Slow Mass - Dark Dark Energy
I've been trying to pay more attention to whatever you call music made by people in their 20s now that aren't in hardcore bands anymore. Stuff like Greet Death, you know? Anyway, Slow Mass has been speaking to me.  O)))

05 ESP Summer - Tengoku No Okoku (Kingdom Of Heaven)
I wish I knew when this was actually made by Warren Defever of His Name Is Alive and Ian Masters of Pale Saints. These 2 started making music together in 1994. But this was just released a few weeks ago. Maybe its new?!?! Anyway, this particular EP has everything written in Japanese so I can only tell you what is written on their bandcamp page, that is to say that this is a cover version of a song by The Thirteenth Floor Elevators, a late 60s psychedelic rock band from Austin TX, called Kingdom Of Heaven. On the Onkonomiyaki label. This tune is great psychedelic pop. That's it. B

06 Pictish Trail - Natural Successor
There is a Django Django remix of this song, which I heard on KFAI one day. I looked it up, and honestly, the original is better in my opinion. Love the frantic pace of the song. It gets your heart rate up without realizing what's happening. He originates from Scotland, so he's got that going for himself, too. JC

07 The Mothers Of Invention - Weasels Ripped My Flesh
This title track from the 1970 album by Frank Zappa and Co. is 2 minutes and 7 seconds of freakish abandonment and reigning sheets of noise. Released on Zappa's own label Bizarre via Frank Sintara's own label Reprise. Yes, those two were connected. Hahaha. A little story to go with this: a friends band was being courted by major labels in the mid-90s and when a batch of A&R folks all turned up at 1 show the friend got ahold of a white V-neck t-shirt and took a black Sharpie marker and wrote the words "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" across the front. I don't know the true meaning of his action. B

08 Leo Nocentelli - Till I Get There
Light in the Attic Records is a little label out of Seattle that does the big job of reissuing great records that time missed. Everything they do is interesting. I chose this track from the recently released Leo Nocentelli record Another Side. Its a catchy, positive little tune that gets stuck in your head. JC

09 Boris - Reincarnation Rose
Guitar players in this current era are infatuated with their foot pedal devices to augment their guitar/amp sound. This song right here was made just for pedal maker Earthquaker Devices of Akron OH who created a foot pedal specifically for Boris guitar player Wata that is called the Hizumitas pedal. The new song is a classic heavyrocks Boris ripper, with the rarity of a vocal by Wata. This one is a lot of fun. New Boris always calls for celebration, even a one-off song made specifically for a gear company. B

10 Pink Floyd - One of These Days
Put on headphones, turn up volume. JC

11 K.Flay - Nothing Can Kill Us
The Current put this in front of me somehow, either driving in the car or on twitter... I don't remember. Anyway, I've been fascinated by it because I think it's a piece of bubblegum pop that's made palatable and, indeed, a fucking banger purely by the distortion and overdrive that gives it all its dynamic range. I love this song and if you played it on an acoustic guitar I'd probably leave the room. O)))

12 Mick Harvey - Out Of Time Man
I was thinking about the Bad Seeds recently, and how I remember Henry Rollins once described them as a group of 4-8 absolute lunatics and drug fiends freaking out on stage while one loan SOBER RESPONSIBLE MAN was on stage keeping the whole thing from going off the rails. When I finally saw them for the first time it blew me away how accurate that was, and any time I think about it I go looking for Mick Harvey's solo stuff so I can hear that really intentional, tightly controlled sense of poetry.  O)))

Comments