Weird & Wonderful Playlist 18

 


W & W 18 - track list and notes:

A playlist curated by Bruce McGuire, Jim Oliver & Jim Crist aka Three Penny Opera



Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Introductory Audio Production by Bill McGuire


01 Pachyman - Destroy the Empire
They've been playing this song non stop on Radio K. Its conflicting though, I've really never listened to new dub. Bruce and I talked about it. Its like this guy studied the genre, then started making his own. Whatever you think of it, can't argue with the message it delivers. JC

02 The Swan Silvertones - If You Believe Your God Is Dead, Try Mine
I just finished reading Dark Star, an oral biography on Jerry Garcia. It covers basically his entire life. At one point, one of his friends in high school mentioned he was really into this band, The Swan Silvertones, so I decided to check them out. Most of their other songs have a very gospel feel, but then this track blindsides you with the funk. JC

03 Little Simz ft Obongjayar - Point And Kill
In early September my friend Dang recommended this tune in his Twitter feed and it was an instant smash in my ears. Subtle hip-hop with hard to distinguish influences. Is that a Nigerian tinge? Is that bit Egyptian? Or Arabic? Is that part East End of London? What am I hearing? Starring Simbi Ajikawo and her friend Steven Umoh, aka Little Simz & Obongjayar. From the 2021 album Sometimes I Might Be Introvert released by the label Age 101 Music. B

04 Primal Scream - Higher Than The Sun (A Dub Symphony In Two Parts)
30 years ago I was lucky enough to have a role in releasing the album Screamadelica by Primal Scream from Glasgow Scotland. Released by the Creation label. This track from the album came out on a 12" single as a very cool remix by the one and only Andrew Weatherall and some heavy heavy bass overdubs by Jah Wobble best known for helping Public Image Ltd make their racket. B

05 Charlie Parr - Last of the Better Days Ahead
I haven't seen my live music in the last 18 months and as I write this I'm about to pack up my family and camp through a 3-day bluegrass festival. Charlie Parr is going to headline one of nights and I guarantee you I'm going to have a really good cry. O)))

06 The Lord & William Duvall - We Who Walk In Light
Pandemic collabs are getting better and better. Sunn O))) guitarist Greg Anderson got together with William Duvall and made this guitar-noodling chant and I find it very calming and rad. O)))

07 Low - The Price You Pay (It Must Be Wearing Off)
Man, Low, huh? What an amazing thing they are. None of their albums sound the same, but they always seem to have a core purpose or mission musically. Their newest record is so different from everything before it, but its so obviously them. This song is the closer on Hey What, and is almost entrancing. The song really gets going for me when the music kicks in at the middle of the track, its repetition filled with small details, swelling as it moves along. The whole record is good, but this is the highlight for me. JC

08 Marisa Anderson/William Tyler - Something Will Come
Both Marisa Anderson and William Tyler make excellent music, so when they decided to make a record together, I got very excited. The whole record is great, but I picked this track for its droning, repetitive nature. I'm an easy target for those kinds of songs, what can I say? JC

09 Fanny - Blind Alley
Somehow this jammer ended up in my Instagram feed and I'm suddenly a huge fan of Fanny. I don't think I'd heard of them before today, and I'd put this against any early 70's rocker. O)))

10 Pixies - Tame
I didn't realize the Pixies had played this absolute barnburner on Saturday Night Live in 1989. YouTube ran me into the live performance (which you should check out) and can you imagine watching Jon Lovitz do the Thespian sketch, then listening to Frank scream his lungs out? Amazing. O)))

11 Wet Leg - Chaise Longue
Bawdy, bold and simple. Fast modern pop-rock ala 2021 via the Isle of Wight. My hero Iggy Pop is the one who brought this to my attention. Two girls on their debut single dressed as puritans using innuendo and vagary to talk dirty. Did you want something else? I didn't think so. Not a bad groove either. Released by Domino. B

12 Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey
Meat and potatoes Jamaican reggae by Winston Rodney (Burning Spear.) Initially released in 1974 by Capo Records on 7" single that comes with a devastating "version" on the B-side - do find it. The track can also be found on the album of the same name, released by Island in 1975. (There is a dub version of this entire album called "Garvey's Ghost" that is definitely worth your time.) Marcus Garvey, who this song is in tribute to, was an influential blackcentric activist in Jamaica, Africa and the USA. B

Comments