Weird & Wonderful Playlist 17

 



W & W 17 - track list and notes:


A playlist curated by Jim Crist, Bruce McGuire & Jim Oliver, better known as: Prue, Piper and Phoebe


Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Introductory Audio Production by Bill McGuire


01 Warm Drag - Butch Things
A modern duo from Messery, France, a town on the Swiss and Italian borders. This song comes from a 7" single they cranked out earlier in 2021. Released by the Six Tonnes de Chair Records label. I hate to do this to you, but imagine a mix of Suicide/Dirty Beaches/The Cramps/Moon Duo. That's the vibe. B

02 King Buffalo - Red Star pt. 2 (radio edit)
This is pretty straight ahead stoner riff rock, and I like it for that reason, but King Buffalo are a fun band to sink your teeth into. Bluesy riffs, cool themes, and clean singing (if you're into that). This is cut down from a 16 minute track that's worth hearing on its own, but I also wanted to throw it on here as a really good radio edit that proves you can wring a 4-minute blaster out of a long psychedelic journey. O)))

03 The Specials - Too Much Too Young
Call me immature, Call me a poser, I'd love to spread manure in your bed of roses. How about that for a line of lyrics? This fun track comes from the debut album by The Specials, who hailed from Coventry England. The band was well known world wide for leading the revival of Jamaican ska music in the late 1970s. Written by keyboard player Jerry Dammers and released on his own 2 Tone Records label. B

04 Stimulator Jones - Thunderball
I've been looking for something like this for a while now. As a big fan of J Dilla and Madlib, there are a lot of people that try to sound like them, but fail miserably. Low Budgets Environments Striving for Perfection is definitely one of the better sounding hip-hop instrumental albums I've heard in a long, long time. JC

05 Arms Aloft - Voyage Of The Dawndreaders
When I think about society collapsing and maybe that being just fine, I'm pretty much hearing Arms Aloft playing in my head. O)))

06 Do Make Say Think - 1978
A few days ago, I finished a really great description for this song, then when I came back in today, it had vanished. I'll keep it short and sweet - repetitious drone, meandering guitar licks, abundant feedback and petal effects have made this one of my favorite songs for quite some time. JC

07 Bad Livers - Precious Time
I was reading an obituary for recently departed Minneapolis punk rocker and scene fixture, Norman Truman, and listening to the music some of the folks giving testimonials about him mentioned he liked, and while I was listening to the Boomtown Rats their song "Precious Time" reminded me of my favorite song also called "Precious Time." It's sad how few people listen to the Bad Livers old records. O)))

08 The Rolling Stones - Not Fade Away
Released in 1964 as the bands 3rd single, and first in the USA, by the Decca and London record labels respectively. Written by Charles Hardin (bonus points if you know who that is) and Norman Petty in 1957, and originally recorded and performed by The Crickets. This tune features the incredible Bo Diddley beat, and was produced by impresario Andrew Loog Oldham (mentioned here because of the outstanding English name.) SPECIAL NOTE: RIP Charlie Watts. B

09 King Woman - Celestial Blues
A brand new song from Kristina Esfandiari's heavy rock-goth-doom band and this is the title track of that album. When their previous album Created In The Image Of Suffering came out in 2017 I was immediately drawn to the foggy darkness but had a hard time convincing others to listen. Now this year I found that many people could not wait to hear this new album. Yes! I love that. Released by Relapse. B

10 Pink Siifu ft The Alchemist - Living Proof (Family)
Bruce sent me this record, which I was very thankful for. Been in a rut with finding new music recently for some reason. This is the song that stuck out to me on my first listen, and when I checked to see who made it, sure enough, it was The Alchemist, one of my favorite producers. The track is like a fever dream, swaying in and out of consciousness. Its super minimal, but totally stands out to me. JC

11 Danan Hargeysa - Uur Hooyo
I blundered across this compilation of 60s and 70s Somali pop music in the library a couple years ago and really grew to love it. Funky, upbeat, just cool shit I don't get exposed to. The label that put this together is called Ostinato Records and they put together great compilations from places you never get to hear from. Check them out. O)))

12 Cactus - Evil
Man, this tune is gnarly. When I think of the 70s, this song will always pop into my head. Upon hearing it for the first time, my face actually melted. The entire song comes at you, guns blazing, there's no break in it. Listening to it will time travel you to 1970, into a Dodge Charger, smoking shitty weed. What more could a person want than that? JC

Comments