Weird & Wonderful Playlist 16

 


W & W 16 - track list and notes:


A playlist curated by Jim Oliver, Jim Crist & Bruce McGuire, better known as: Mario, Luigi & Yoshi


Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Introductory Audio Production by Bill McGuire

01 Nirvana - Breed
Even if you have, even if you need. I don't mean to stare, we don't have to breed. We can plant a house, we can build a tree. I don't even care, we could have all three. She said. From the legendary 1991 album Nevermind. (B)

02 Fabrizio de Andre - Via del Campo
Released as a single in 1967 Bluebell Records of Italy. Andre was the premier chanson singer of Genoa Italy at the time. When I heard his music I instantly thought of Leonard Cohen, who at the same time was across the Atlantic Ocean in Montreal Quebec Canada, over 6000km away, making our hearts heavy and forlorn, yet beautiful. (B)

03 Badge Epoque Ensemble ft James Baley - Unity (It's Up To You)
I first heard this track while stuck in traffic, late for a soccer game. It eased my worries immediately. It's drippy, and almost melts all over you. It's like sunshine in song form. An added bonus for me at least is the guitar solo in the middle of the song, when I first heard it, I was instantly reminded of noodly Grateful Dead solos, which is always a plus. (JC)

04 OFF! - Holier Than Thou
The band Off had all but disappeared. Seemingly forgotten, by most, band of older guys reliving their punk glory days, and doing it quite well. Then recently, out of nowhere, signs of life appeared. Their Instagram roared to life with merch and shit. And then THIS!! Wow. I watched and listened, then went searching for where this new track was coming from. Shockingly I discovered its actually a cover of a Metallica song. Metallica. Huh? Its from a charity tribute album of all kinds of artists playing the songs from Metallica's megahit album (untitled-black cover) from 1991. (B)

05 Birds Of Maya - Busted Room
Around two weeks ago, a record label I follow posted a picture of an outdoor show in Philadelphia. Playing was a band I've never heard of called Birds of Maya. I thought, what the hell, I'll check them out, and it was one of my better decisions of 2021. This whole record rules, but this one song really does it for me. Its three minutes of a pretty traditional song, with words and whatnot, but then the remaining 6 minutes get going. It leaves you feeling disoriented, like you stopped paying attention to where you were going, only to notice later that you are completely lost, with no idea how it happened. (JC)

06 Jerry Garcia - When The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game
Been stumbling through Jerry Garcia solo stuff recently. Not all of it is my bag, but I really did enjoy this track. Its a cover of a 1966 song by the Marvelettes, written by Smokey Robinson. This song has also been covered by Grace Jones, Blondie, and Massive Attack. This one is short and sweet, and hit a weird spot for me. (JC)

07 Jessy Matador - Allez, Ola, Ole
This is a Eurovision contest entry in support of Les Bleus, and holy shit is it ever. There's a francophone music show on KFAI on Tuesday nights and they played this to celebrate France beating the pants off Germany in the Euros and while I was listening to it I  was just blown away by how Eurovision it is so I had to include it here. (O))))

08 Man... Or Astroman - Don't Think What Jack
I really miss these guys. I'm sure they're all doing interesting things now that they haven't made surf music from Alabama in a few years, but I've been going back to these records every couple years and I'll never get tired of it. (O))))

09 Guided By Voices - Teenage FBI
This song came on the radio a couple days ago and that means I'm going to be whistling and singing it until the next time I listen to "Cabin Man" by the Cows (my never-fails earworm extractor). I'm going to savor this for a little longer. (O))))

10 My Bloody Valentine - Soon
The day this was released was the day that smears of psychedelic guitars hit the English rave scene. Dance beats, indie rock, and far-out original guitar sounds. From the 1990 Glider EP on Creation Records, Go seek out the Andrew Weatherall mix too. This truly is the type of sounds that will take you past the mark of infinity in a state of trance and bliss. (B)

11 Sunburned Hand Of The Man - Prism Mirrors Lens
Sunburned Hand of the Man is this prolific collection of musicians out of the Boston area that release like 4 albums a year it seems like. Their style is always changing, which makes sense because there are like 40 people associated with the band. I chose the opening track from the 2019 release Headless because its a nice drifting track, really relaxing. Almost like floating in the ocean or something.  (JC)

12 Mantar - Bruise Violet
Obviously Bruise Violet is already a perfect song and doesn't need any reinterpreting. But... there's a generation of metal bands that have spent the last 15-20 years making metal after growing up in the early 90s on a steady diet of noise rock and Riot Grrrl music and it's fun to hear them go back and re-experience that stuff, especially if they're a power duo from the middle of nowhere in Germany. (O))))

Comments