Weird & Wonderful Playlist 14

 


W & W 14 - track list and notes:


A playlist curated by Jim Crist, Bruce McGuire & Jim Oliver, better known as: 3 Feet Makes A Yard

Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Introductory Audio Production by Bill McGuire


01 Aerial M - Attention Span Deficit Disorder Disruption
Well now, this track takes me back. I can almost feel myself sitting on the orange couch in my college house. Aerial M is David Pajo of Slint, and also a ton of other bands. This song is peaceful and pleasant, with some fun surprises tucked into the middle. Listen on some good headphones if ya got em. JC

02 DJ Shadow - In/Flux
Songs that leave me disoriented are some of my favorite, and this one sure does the trick. Whenever its over, I feel like I just got off of a tire swing, dizzy and struggling to make sense of which way is up. So many good drum samples, a meandering pace, and multiple changes make it one of my favorites. JC

03 Sleep - Antarcticans Thawed
After many years of what most assumed was permanent hibernation Sleep emerged from the crawlspace under the bomb proof building with a live version of this song appearing on YouTube. It was glorious to all the Sleep thrill-seekers and freeform-freakers. Then got a taste of the new era with The Clarity. But when the 4th album popped out of the womb very unexpectedly in 2018, titled The Sciences, we got a rare return to form treat. And the album version of this song was even better than that earlier live version. On Third Man Records. B

04 Mizmor - Desert of Absurdity
I know depressive black metal isn't everybody's cup of tea and I don't think it should be, but if you're looking for a reason to get interested in it, I think A.L.N.'s work under the name Mizmor will be what draws you in. This stuff is all about emotional range, and I think this  whole record has that in spades. O)))

05 Lou Reed - Street Hassle
Sha-la-la man. With cello everywhere. And viola too. Almost like 3 versions of the same song melded together in 3 movements. The recited prose poetry of Reed bathed in a hypnotic tempo of sound that builds and then falls away, over and over again. There is one line of the song that makes reference to Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run, and wouldn't you know it Lou talked Bruce into an appearance here. This is the title track of the 1978 album which was released by Arista Records. B

06 Pink Floyd - Pigs (Three Different Ones)
I was in middle school when CDs turned into the default physical media for music distro, and the only band my dad ever cared about in his life (to this day) was Pink Floyd, and the only record of theirs he ever cared about was The Wall. He bought that and played it in his car for me and it blew my mind and one day in a record store I was like WHAT'S ALL THIS OTHER STUFF and I spent a summer working at a driving range to buy new Pink Floyd records every couple weeks. Animals really stood out to me because it had that early psych attitude but had hints of the broad theatricality of the later Floyd stuff. I like it better than Dark Side, and I really think this track changed my brain and turned me into somebody that wants to zone out for a long time to really subtle variations in riffs and solos. O)))

07 YOB - Marrow
Goddammit, I love YOB so much. In the mid-oughts I had a college radio show and I pretty much programmed the whole show around which YOB song I wanted to play that night, and they actually broke up during the year that I had the show and I was bummed. "Marrow" is my favorite track to introduce people to YOB with, because it shows all the power and volume but also the peace and serenity you can find in Mike Scheidt's journey through the universe. O)))

08 Marijuana Deathsquads - Last Sunny Day
My friend, Will, sent me this song a few months back, and immediately I became obsessed with it. The opening guitars hit me right away. Its got that off-kilter quality that I really dig, and shifts in interesting ways as it builds. Dub influenced with tons of effects going on, this song is a trip, and I am totally here for it. JC

09 Nina Simone - Sinnerman
Originally a single by Les Baxter released in 1956, Simone took the song to a whole new height with a powerful energy like a driving team of horses pulling a run away stage coach. If you can't feel the pain in this song then you probably can't feel at all. Just Simone's voice hurts your soul. Imagine how much agony she must have been in. This version was released in 1965 on the Philips label from the album Pastel Blues. B

10 Ty Segall - And, Goodnight
Did you know that Ty Segall fuckin' shreds? He does! If this is news to you, you're in luck, because you have like 5 chances in this song to hear it for yourself. This is the closing track to 2018's massive Freedom's Goblin. Seriously, the guitars escalate so quickly, you'll find yourself back in 1972 in no time. JC

11 Windhand - Kingfisher
When the mood calls for something spacy and fuzzy and very Satan-worshipping, Windhand always satisfies. The deep groove in this track goes on for so long and it's just Dorthia Cottrell's rhythmic chanting trading places with the guitar solo spirits she summons. Very few songs justify long runtimes as well as this meditation does. O)))

12 John Coltrane - My Favorite Things
Who would ever imagine a corny song from a corny movie would end up being one of my favorite songs of all time. Of course John Coltrane and his saxophone can pretty much take any melody into outer-space and transform it into pure wonder. With McCoy Tyner on piano, Steve Davis on bass and Elvin Jones on drums. From the album of the same title, released in 1961 by Atlantic Records. B

Comments