Weird & Wonderful Playlist 13

 


W & W 13 - track list and notes:


A playlist curated by Jim Oliver, Jim Crist & Bruce McGuire, better known as: Cheeto, Frito & Burrito

Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Introductory Audio Production by Bill McGuire


01 Diplo ft Martina Topley-Bird - Into the Sun
Oh boy I am a grade A sucker for any sort of track with beats and a pretty voice over it. This one comes from Diplo's only solo album that I know of, Florida. It was released in 2004 and some guy working at the counter at Fifth Element gave it to me for free when I walked in asking for it. If you've listened to enough of these playlists, you know that I love a song with a slow build, and Martina Topley-Bird has an amazing voice, too. JC

02 T2 - J.L.T.
Man, it took me FOREVER to pick my last song for this go around. Dunno what it was. Nothing was really striking me. Then I came across this track from the British band T2, originally released in 1970. Its a dreamy, meandering song, and for some reason it hits me just right at this moment in time. JC

03 Spacemen 3 - I Want You Right Now 
Spacemen 3 are this super interesting band, in my opinion. A couple of very unhealthy seeming British guys playing proto-garage rock with lots of gospel references and a bunch of psychedelia. I chose this song, an unreleased track that came out on the reissue Forged Prescriptions, because it really covers the garage/psych bases well. Goddamn this song rips. Its amazing that Jason Pierce is still alive. JC

04 Bags - Survive
One of the original 1977 LA punk bands, performing early shows at the legendary underground club The Masque. Alice was the leader and singer, and she was on fire!! This is their one and only release, a 7" single in 1978 on the Dangerhouse label. The single also featured one other original member Pat Bag, aka Patricia Morrison who somehow eventually ended up in Sisters Of Mercy. Ha! Produced by Geza X. B

05 Love Spit Love - Am I Wrong
Got exposed to this from a Bandcamp covers EP I picked up and it's been in my head for days. I've never been a Psychedelic Furs guy, but this is just really grabbing me. O)))

06 Los Angeles Negros - Tu y Tu Mirar, Yo y Mi Cancion
A band from San Carlos, Chile who played a combination of bolero, ballad and psychedelic pop, slathered with lead singer Germain de la Fuente's sensitive crooning schmaltz. From the 1969 album Porque Te Quiero on the Odeon label. Recommended to me by the Oaxacan artist Cesar Chavez (Different guy, but yes, that name. Find him on Instagram.) B

07 Fontaines D.C. - Boys In The Better Land
About a year ago I was informed as to how good Fontaines D.C. (Dublin City) were and that I would probably like the band. It took me a few tries. Some of the suggested songs didn't click with me, but a new album in summer 2020 really hit me right. After 6 months listening, and some live versions too, I am ready to take on more. This particular tune just fell into my path the other night and it was instantly my fave FDC song. Great energy, very rhythmic, interesting words. They are fast, droney, driving, without action melodies - more spoken word. It reminds me of a less nihilistic version of a certain late 60s/early 70s New York City band. From their 2019 album Dogrel, released by Partisan records. B

08 Spelljammer - Silent Rift
I've joked on here about how I love stoner doom that's all about texture musicians can get from signal path stuff and volume, and Spelljammer is one of my favorite examples of people doing that work. The riffs aren't simple, and--sure--the ghost astronaut aesthetic has been self-parody for a long time now, but playing this music really really loud just really puts me in a place I love being. This is from their newest album, out a couple weeks ago on Riding Easy records. O)))

09 Rocket From The Crypt - On A Rope
I love to put this song on the jukebox at a bar and just look over the heads of everybody in it. If nobody is bobbing their head or singing along you leave. O)))

10 Colour Haze - Did El It
I really have no clue what I'm doing when I am looking for stoner metal, and somehow I usually end up finding bands from Europe. I can't tell what's actually good or not, just what I like. Colour Haze is from Munich, and has been doing their thing since the mid-90's. This short lil number is from their self titled 2005 release, and I like it because nobody sings. JC

11 Superhopper - Laraine Newman
Superhopper was a Minneapolis band that released a couple of records in the early 2000s, but I don't think they ever really made a big impact anywhere else. There was a couple of summers, though, where I'd see them all the time and I just loved them. Anyway, the former original SNL star Laraine Newman just released a memoir and I think it's been 20 years or so since I last heard her name without having this song in my head for the next few days. O)))

12 Slift - Ummon
The first song from the Feb 2020 album also called Ummon, which is the name, I think, of a some kinda mythical Buddhist. Blistering, wandering, soaring, wailing guitars from the Toulouse, France trio. Mix the guitar sounds of Robert Fripp, Greg Ginn, Dave Navarro & Wata and you have some idea of what you are about to hear. You will either be excited or afraid that I am going to use the words Prog Rock. Everything's gonna be OK. B

Comments