Weird & Wonderful Playlist 10


W & W 10 - track list and notes:

A playlist curated by Jim Oliver, Jim Crist & Bruce McGuire, better known as: Animal and Hawk, and their manager Paul Ellerat.

Listen on YouTube

Listen on Spotify

Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Intro Audio Production by Bill McGuire


01 Om - State of Non-Return
Om is Al Cisneros exploring hypnotic rhythms similar to what you hear in Sleep, but focusing less on the heaviness and riffs and more on other musical qualities that can make you lose yourself. Wider aperture instrumentation and rhythm-wise. Excellent music to not think about anything with. (O))))

02 My Bloody Valentine - To Here Knows When
The year before this well regarded band from Dublin/London gave the world their production sound changing album Loveless they gave a big hint of what was to come when they released this song on a 4 song EP called Tremolo in 1991 on the Creation label. Swirling, vibrating and deeply caressing your brain with pop/rocks sounds only hinted at by others in the past. Music changing. (B)

03 The Sword - Seriously Mysterious
My favorite track from the companion albums High Country/Low Country, where the Sword took their virtuosic psychedelic fantasy songs and treated them as acoustic guitar tunes on Low Country, then went wild producing them with synthesizers and effects out the wazoo that more typically characterizes their approach on High Country. You have to listen to both versions to hear how cool the bones of every song are, then hear the layers of creativity that make the vibe that much cooler. I love The Sword. (O))))

04 The Revolutionaries - Kunta Kinte
Glorious, glorious, glorious dub at its finest. The in-house band of Jamaican recording studio Channel 1 were known as The Revolutionaries. They were lead by the indestructible drummer & bass-player duo of Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare - aka the infamous Sly & Robbie. They created this stand-alone dub which was cut in 1976 with producer Jo Jo Hookim and released as a 7" single by Channel 1. I came across this song on the compilation album Drum Sound (More gems from the Channel One dub room 1974 to 1980) released in 2018 by the Pressure Sounds label. (B)

05 Marisa Anderson - Waltz of the Shadows
I discovered this artist when Riley Johnson of Rose City Band posted about her on his Instagram this year. This song is great because of how it rambles and swirls. (JC)

06 Jackie Lynn - Dream St.
I really have no clue how I found this song, or even why I chose it, to be honest. It does feel like you're in a dream though. It builds slow, and feels off-kilter, which is a big theme in songs I like. Listening to this song makes me feel hopeful for some reason, and that can't be bad, right? (JC)

07 Loredana Berte - Number One
When Diego Maradona died Joe Tirabassi put together a huge Spotify playlist of late-70's euro disco to celebrate his memory. That whole list is worth listening to, but this is the song I keep going back to. What a journey it is, and so of its time. (O))))

08 King Geedorah featuring MF Doom & Mr. Fantastik - Anti-Matter
Hearing of the passing of DOOM really wrecked me for a couple of days, even though I haven't been listening to his music much lately. I was obsessed with him in college, listening to everything he was on over and over and over. If I made a mix for anyone, DOOM was on it, I'd gift new friends with burned copies of his music, and I'd even take naps in-between classes while listening to him. Its really hard to choose just one, but this is probably my favorite MF DOOM track. Pretty much every bar he comes up with is out of this world. There's not gonna be anyone like him ever again. (JC)

09 Kathy Heideman - Sleep a Million Years
Pretty much encapsulating how I'm feeling these days, I'm just exhausted. But also really enjoying older, not-so-commercial country music. I came across this one on a Numero Group compilation called Wayfaring Strangers: Cosmic American Music. The whole thing is great, but this is the track that really spoke to me. (JC)

10 Gay Witch Abortion - Girl Pop Soda
When I get into a rhythmic noise mood I often reach for one of a couple Learning Curve Records bands, and GWA has been one of my favorites for years and years. so much power and such a deep groove from just two guys thrashing at instruments. (O))))

11 El Muertho De Tijuana - Viejo Decrepito
I have discovered a lot of great visual artists via Instagram, and a hot bed for my enjoyment has become Oaxaca, Mexico. My first discovery there was Yescka, and one night he posted images along with this spooky synth-heavy music, sung in Spanish. I dug up all the info I could on this tune. The first thing I noticed was the striking look of the performer El Muertho - totally gothed/black-metaled out in white face paint, black makeup, long hair and black clothes. Bingo. You have now been exposed to the sound of Jesus Hernandez Ramos aka Muertho TJ (from Tijuana in case you confused him with other Muerthos out there). This song comes from the album Padre Santo, released in 2015 by Lost Causes Records. (B)

12 Brigitte Bardot - Contact
Late one night I was watching some TV, in particular: Killing Eve. (Pretty good.) The show uses a lot of music performed by women, and this song right here really grabbed my attention. A quirky 60s pop tune sung by what the French call a chanteuse. Bardot was also a fashion model, sex symbol and film star, and the partner of songwriter Serge Gainsbourg. This track was released as a 7"single in 1967 by the Disc'AZ record label as the B-side of the French hit Harley Davidson. (B)

Comments