Weird & Wonderful - Best of Season 1

 


W & W Best of Season 1 - track list and notes:

A playlist curated by Bruce McGuire, Jim Oliver & Jim Crist,  better known as Lone, Wolf & Cub.

All the songs you find here were culled from our Playlists 1-9 that we released throughout the troubled year of 2020.


NOTE: Features our exclusive introduction & sign off


Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Audio Production by Bill McGuire


01 Sleaford Mods ft Billy Nomates - Mork n Mindy
The two Sherwood Forest smartasses have just put out their greatest song yet. A proper single! Not just a random advance track off a forthcoming album. (It's that too.) Drum machine, yes, synth-bass, yes, lots of WORDS, oh yes, and their friend Billy's sweet voice on the chorus urging us not to get "Too high, too low." From Nottingham England. Spare Ribs album on Rough Trade (coming in early 2021). B

02 Richard Dawson - Jogging
What a story teller this dude is. Its like you are on a long run with Richard and he is spilling his guts to you and only you. With his own sound and voice and grease and pain. Not a cliched beauty, a real one.  And boy oh boy go the guitars on this one get crunchy. From Newcastle upon Tyne England. 2020 album on Domino. B

03 Morgan Delt - Barbarian Kings
Bruce and I saw these guys open for The Flaming Lips years ago. They were good, and I bought their debut record after the show. Then for whatever reason I completely forgot about them. This year, I started categorizing my record collection and found this again. Its sludgy, hazy, and instantly makes me feel disoriented, totally appropriate for 2020. It reminds me of a scene in a movie where someone gets drugged and they find themselves in a strange place. That would be a nice break from things. JC

04 Sturgill Simpson - Just Let Go
If there was any news earlier this year that Sturgill Simpson was going to follow up his last album (a psych-rock concept album that ruled) with a bunch of new bluegrass music, I missed it. The whole thing is terrific, and you can spend days listening to the music of every member of the band of absolute murderers that got put together to make this record. O)))

05 Bela Fleck - Help On The Way
I picked this song to put on the end of the year recap because, oh man, it helped me get through some tough times this summer. Its quiet and intimate, but always hits me like a ton of bricks when I listen to it. JC

06 Daniel Avery - Infinite Future
This tune's on my favorite album of the year, a lovely blast of electronic frontierism. Part techno, part drone, part washes of beauty, part buckets of weight. The album does nothing you expect it to do.  From Bornemouth England. Love + Light album on Mute/Phantasy. B

07 Uniform - Delco
I read an interview with singer Michael Berdan where he told stories of all the kids he grew up with in an area on the Southeast side of Philadelphia aka Delaware County aka Delco. And Berdan feels like he might be the only one who got out unscathed. Everyone else, damaged goods, or worse. This song feels like escaping THAT. From Brooklyn New York USA. Shame album on Sacred Bones. B

08 High On Fire - Into The Crypts Of Rays
I love High on Fire, and it was great to hear them cover songs that influenced their sound so much, and then fully turn them into High on Fire songs. I'd listen to Matt Pike bellow xmas carols, but I truly think he fixes everything that makes Celtic Frost sound kind of like cavemen on their recordings. O)))

09 Guerilla Poubelle - La Bataille De Paris
I don't even speak French and these guys just get me pumped up to throw bottles at cops. We need more of that from punk music all over the world. O)))

10 Wilma Archer featuring MF DOOM - Last Sniff
Finding new rap music that I enjoy has become nearly impossible for me. Years ago, it was all I listened to (Oliver can attest to this). But for some reason, it just doesn't connect with me like it used to. When I first heard this song, that connection happened immediately. The beat is still unlike anything I've heard before, and I have a huge soft spot for MF DOOM. This song is like a piece of art that I notice something new with every time I see it, and that is not too bad. JC

11 R. Stevie Moore - Pink Litmus Paper Shirt
Songs don't get much stranger than this one. I'm having trouble putting it into words. It starts out fairly normal, but as it goes along, parts of it start melting away. There's a few points in the song where the guitar part starts slightly slowing down or speeding up, playing slightly different notes, its all totally disorienting, and its right up my alley. At random points this year, this song will get stuck in my head, and confuse the hell out of me as to how it got there. JC

12 Kelly Hogan & The Pine Valley Cosmonauts - Papa Was A Rodeo
This is the song that really made me fall in love with Kelly Hogan's work, and it's why I've been spending years listening to anything she records. Seriously, find a list of everything she sings on, even if it's backing vocals and be amazed at the class of artists she works with and what they produce. O)))

Comments