Weird & Wonderful Playlist 9

 


W & W 9 - track list and notes:

A playlist curated by Jim Crist, Bruce McGuire and Jim Oliver, better known as Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice


Listen on YouTube:
NOTE: Features our exclusive introduction

Listen on Spotify:

Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Intro Audio Production by Bill McGuire



01 Deradoorian - Red Den
Angel Deradoorian is super awesome. She used to be in Dirty Projectors, is a member of Avery Tate's Slasher Flicks, and now has a new solo album out. This is the opening track, I picked it because it's so simple at the start, but grows as the song progresses. She does a great job layering her vocals in this one, too. (JC)

02 A Tribe Called Red ft Black Bear - Stadium Pow Wow
A powerful club music track with the heavy cultural overtones of the people of the Canadian First Nations. ATCR is from Ottawa and are members of the Nipissing First Nation, the Mohawk of the Six Nations of the Grand River, and the Cayuga First Nation. I don't pretend to know where they are coming from in their spirits and minds, but I know power when I hear it, and the power and glory in this song blows me away. Self-released in 2016. (B)

03 Big Business - Send Help
If you're familiar with Big Business at all, you know this isn't their typical booming, thunderous, absolutely awesome rock and roll. This is one of my favorite tracks of theirs, though, because it shows off the creativity and experimentation they're capable of, and also really showcases Jared Warren's terrific voice. I've seen Big Business live a BUNCH of times, and I love the amazing contrast they can create with songs like this. (O))))

04 Dave Barker - Smooth And Sorts
The beautiful voice of Dave Barker turns up here on the B-side of the cool instrumental track Ivan Itler The Conqueror, produced by Bunny Striker Lee, my current favorite Jamaican producer. Released by Unity Records as a 7" single in 1970 and re-released by Lee's Records in 2017. You can also get this track and several other top-notch Bunny Lee productions on the compilation album Full Up (Bunny 'Striker' Lee's Early Reggae Productions 1968-72) from the folks at the reissue label Pressure Sounds. (FYI: I buy everything that Pressure Sounds releases.) (B)

05 Daniel Avery - Lone Swordsman
This is the third track on the Dusting For Smoke single which was released in Summer 2020 as a tribute to DJ Andrew Weatherall who died earlier in the year. Weatherall was the single greatest English remix producer of the 1990s and 2000s. The Orb and Happy Mondays were two of his biggest early successes. Then he made an even bigger splash remixing "rock music" by Saint Etienne, Primal Scream and My Bloody Valentine, turning them into international dance floor phenomena. Released by Mute Records with all proceeds donated to Amnesty International in memory of Weatherall. (B)

06 King Woman - Hierophant
I was just listening to DALMATIAN, which is the recently announced project of Kristina Esfandiari, the singer of King Woman. Dalmatian is a very Halloween-appropriate kind of horrorcore rap project and you should check it out, but any time I hear any of her interesting new projects I really just return to the heavy, breathy, sexiness of this record. (O))))

07 Jacco Gardner - Vaskania
No idea how I stumbled across this, or who Jacco Gardner even is! Wikipedia told me he's a Dutch multi-instrumentalist, and this is/isn't what I would expect after reading that? This track comes from a series that Polyvinyl does, asking different artists to record songs on a 4 track, which seems like an interesting idea that I'll definitely try to check out again. (JC)

08 Propaghandi - Human(e) Meat: The Flensing of Sandor Katz
When the going gets tough, the tough let Propaghandi sing about murder and cannibalism in the sensitive, subtle way that only Plains Canadians can. (O))))

09 Sleaford Mods ft Billy Nomates - Mork N Mindy
Brand spankin new single in Nov '20 by the Nottingham electro-punk knuckleheads. Features their friend Bill Nomates on a chorus that sets this track above and beyond anything the duo had done before. Released by Rough Trade Records, and will also be available in Feb 2021 on their next full-lengther Spare Ribs. (B)

10 The Mavericks - Sombras Nada Mas
A few weeks ago I read in the news that the Mavericks' trumpet player (Lorenzo Molina Ruiz) got sucker punched by some jackoff just for speaking Spanish in public. That still makes me sick just to think about, but at least it gave me the reminder that I fucking love the Mavericks and should listen to them a lot. Their most recent album is all Raul Malo singin' in Spanish and it's terrific. I want to hear that guy sing in every language. (O))))

11 Chaz Bundick Meets The Mattson 2 - JBS
Chaz Bundick is a busy, busy dude. And pretty much everything he does is chill as fuck. This album is strange. I left it playing in a bedroom one day while my wife was working from home. I had to run an errand or something, and the weird psych sounds from this record confused the hell out of her before she knew what was happening. Good story, Jim. (JC)

12 Christelle Bofale - U Ouchea
I love this song. Moses Sumney made a Spotify playlist called Black Future of artists he felt should be getting more recognition. The whole playlist is good, but this track really stood out for me. Her voice is dreamy, and the guitar warm. The vibe of the song betrays the words, and I think that's just neat. (JC)

Comments