Weird & Wonderful Playlist 7

RIDE

W & W 7 - track list and notes:

A playlist curated by Bruce McGuire, Jim Oliver and Jim Crist - 3 Sheets To The Wind


Listen on YouTube: 

Listen on Spotify:
NOTE: does not include exclusive introduction from YouTube playlist

Graphic Design by Daniele Lanza
Intro Audio Production by Bill McGuire
Piano by Bob Stevenson


01 Van Halen - Runnin' With The Devil
There is no way that I could let this playlist be released without a tribute to the brilliant guitar player Eddie Van Halen who died recently. The 15 year old me had his mind rearranged in the spring of 1978 when my cousin Ken played me Van Halen's debut album for the first time. No one had ever sounded like that before, and only poor imitations tried to sound like that afterward. The one and only buzz of EVH as featured on this albums opener. From 1978 on Warner Bros Records. (B)

02 R. Stevie Moore - Pink Litmus Paper Shirt
This song is so strange. Apparently the song itself was rumored to be an unreleased Beatles song for many years. Everything about this song is off kilter, it's kinda funky, kinda melodic, and sorta sludgy. The recording sounds kinda lofi, but still there's a ton of stuff happening on the track. (JC)

03 Tropkillaz, J Balvin and Anitta ft Mc Zaac - Bola Rebola
This was a huge hit last year, so I know anybody that pays any attention to South American music has heard it a bunch. The funk on this really captured me while I was digging around for something cool after hearing Anitta's latest single "Paloma," which I think is terrible. (O))))

04 Slobberbone - Lumberlung
I've used this song to win a contest that I challenge people to sometimes called "who can play the saddest song." The first time I heard it was live when I'd never heard of Slobberbone, I was just out watching music at the 400 Bar, having a great night, then I heard the story of every person who dies poor in the middle of the United States, distilled into this one great song. (O))))

05 Jane's Addiction - Of Course
Every fall I remember that I love Jane's Addiction. I'll drive around with the windows open listening to it super loud for like two weeks straight. Ritual de lo Habitual is my favorite album of theirs. The opening tracks all rip, but then the album shifts into these long, hypnotic songs that always make me disoriented. Four songs feeling like hours and hours. That's probably heroin for ya. (JC)

06 Robert Wyatt - Gharbzadegi
For some reason I have been driving around a lot more recently, and have found myself listening to KFAI radio in Minneapolis more and more. It's awesome. This song was on the Monday afternoon experimental show. It's like a less jolting Animal Collective song, with the layered vocals and droning repetition, and shifts in tempo. Listening to KFAI has really opened me up to a lot of new music. (JC)

07 Red City Radio - Love A Liar
First single I heard off their forthcoming record on Pure Noise. Checks all the "Why Red City Radio Are Great" boxes. (O))))

08 Buzzcocks - Promises
Every once in a while I put on a classic album and just let it ride without paying a lot of attention, then wait to see what grabs me by the collar and slams me up against the wall. This track is from one of the greatest albums ever assembled - Singles Going Steady. It is a collection of the first 8 singles released by Manchester's Buzzcocks. Side One contains all the A-Sides to those singles, and Side Two is the B-Sides. There is no drop off in quality from A to B. Its that good. And Promises is the song that put me up against the wall this most recent time. From 1979 on United Artists. (B)

09 Guerilla Poubelle - La Bataille De Paris
The closer we get to this election, the more French anticapitalist punk rock I listen to. Feels better. (O))))

10 Wilma Archer ft MF DOOM - Last Sniff
Doom is great always, and has worked with some amazing producers, but I think this is hands down the strangest beat he's ever rapped over. And I can't get it out of my head either. Randomly during the day little snippets of the beat will pop up in my head. Can't categorize it. Feels great to hear something so unique. (JC)

11 Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus and Max Roach - Caravan
I am growing more and more symbiotic with my living room couch the longer this Plague continues. One of the few goods things about this is that the 4th season of Fargo has begun and I was already in position to view it. The main thrust of the story is a war between the Black and Italian gangs of Kansas City in the 1950s. This brilliant song is featured in the 1st episode, performed by Ellington (on piano) along with Charles Mingus (bass) and Max Roach (drums), and comes from the album Money Jungle which was released in 1962 on the United Artists label. Huzzah. (B)

12 Obnox - Blessed Black Soldier
Sample-heavy smoked-out lo-fi R & B from Cleveland. Very drifty sounding and much more of a mood than anything else. This will consume you if you surrender to it. Released summer 2020 in the thick of the madness by Ever/Never records on and album called Savage Raygun - a double LP with a fantastic gatefold sleeve of artwork you can stare at for hours while you flip the 4 sides of vinyl over and over and over. (B)

Comments