Weird & Wonderful Playlist 5




W & W 5 - track list and notes:

A playlist curated by Jim Crist, Bruce McGuire and Jim Oliver - The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost


Listen on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa_dTxl8owmVOwyErB0ULIIxpAqddypxK

Listen on Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7ojvFlZK4EgK9hy5yy6hLO
NOTE: does not include exclusive introduction, and is missing 1 track from YouTube playlist

Graphics by Daniele Lanza
Intro Audio by Bill McGuire


01 Acetone - Shaker
Pretty obvious theme going through most of my music choices is escapism. I'm seeking out music that makes me forget what a dumpster fire it is out there. This track brings me peace. Very mellow, highs aren't that high, and same with the lows. It's what I need right now. (JC)

02 Dillinger Four - Like Sprewells On A Wheelchair
This is a protest song D4 did for an anti-Bush comp record called Rock Against Bush. Everything in it still hits. (O))))
NOTE: Not included on Spotify playlist

03 PKEW PKEW PKEW - Adult Party
This is a good song about parties. Remember those? I was thinking about this one because of its wonderful breakdown telling rich kids to go fuck themselves. That chant came to mind for that dipshit that vandalized the George Floyd memorial mural. (O))))

04 Uniform - Dispatches From The Gutter
A harrowing new track by the Brooklyn NY trio of cracking drums, shrieking guitars and frightening vocals. This will be on their next album called Shame which comes out in mid-September 2020 on the Sacred Bones label. (B)

05 Sonic's Rendezvous Band - Electrophonic Tonic
This mid-70s hard-rock/pre-punk band from Detroit featured Fred Sonic Smith from the MC5 and Scott Asheton from the Stooges, among others. A rippin' song from a "complete recordings" box set released in 2006 on the Easy Action label. This track was on the 6th disc of that collection titled "The Best Stuff You Haven't Heard." (B)

06 Jill Scott - Cruisin'
I spend so much time immersed in new metal and punk music that sometimes I rely on sites like https://www.68to05.com/ (a playlist project by cool-as-hell poet/writer Hanif Abdurraqib) to suggest other cool stuff to listen to. Hanif sent me off on a loooooong journey with Ms. Jill Scott and I feel much better. Listen to this track and check out the essays about albums on that website. (O))))

07 Fontaines D.C. - A Hero's Death
The newest single from an album of the same name by the noisey indie rock group from Dublin Ireland. Released by Partisan Records in 2020. The group was named after the crooner Johnny Fontane in the Godfather. Fontane was part of the film's story line that ended with the bloody head of a race horse in the bed of a wealthy music biz type. And the D.C. stands for Dublin City. (B)

08 Sven Wunder - Black Iris
Believe it or not, but I'm carrying a lot of tension around with me these days, so I've been seeking out music that'll help me calm the fuck down. Usually that means stuff without words, because I'm really trying to make it easy for myself. I came across this from Sven Wunder, and it seems to make everything melt away. (JC)

09 Little Dragon - After The Rain
This song always gets me with its simplicity at the start and how it builds. Saw Little Dragon once at the 400 Bar before it closed. They were tight as a band. Someone jumped on stage to dance with them, and they were shamed off the stage super super quick. (JC)

10 Althea & Donna - Gone To Negril
Althea Forrest and Donna Reid were a top notch singing duo from Jamaica that made this killer 12" single featuring the classic Lee Scratch Perry production sound. The tune was released in 1977 on the Reggae Bloodlines label. Recently reissued by the mighty Pressure Sounds label. (B)

11 Unleash The Archers - Soulbound
You don't need to read epic space opera sci-fi novels if you listen to melodic power metal. It just saves time to blast Unleash the Archers. (O))))

12 Robyn ft Royksopp - None Of Dem
My kid loves Robyn, we listen to Body Talk like once a day. It's by far the best thing she asks to listen to these days. I picked this song because it feels like a good 2020 song, 'get me outta this town', 'none of these drugs get me high', etc. A good desperate dance track. (JC)

Comments