Weird & Wonderful Playlist 3




W & W 3 - track list and notes

A playlist curated by Jim Crist, Bruce McGuire and Jim Oliver



(NOTE: contains two fewer songs than YouTube playlist due to lack of availability on the Spotify platform)


01 Richard Dawson - The Vile Stuff (video edit)
-On our last mix, W&W2, no artist attained more feedback than Richard Dawson. So I jumped back a few years and tracked down the first song I heard that told me Dawson was something special. From the 2014 album Nothing Important, released on the Weird World label. (selected by McGuire)

02 Boris - Anti-Gone
-The Japanese power trio just keeps cranking out new albums at a stunning pace. And the latest, NO, hearkens back to the mid 00s and their breakout album Pink. Gone is the heavy sludge of the past 2 albums. The return of Thrash! Self released on July 3 2020 by the band. (selected by McGuire)
*NOTE: SONG NOT AVAILABLE ON SPOTIFY

03 Thou - Something In The Way
-These guys just released a whole album of Nirvana covers and this is the track where their distinctive black/hardcore sound adds the most to a familiar jam. (selected by Oliver)

04 Spirit Adrift - I Think Of Demons
-The last three albums I've bought on Bandcamp have all been covers comps and they've all got some bangers on them. This one just perfectly captures the cool vibe that Spirit Adrift puts into everything they do. I listen to it almost every day. (Original version by Rocky Erickson & The Aliens) (selected by Oliver)
*NOTE: SONG NOT AVAILABLE ON SPOTIFY

05 Do Make Say Think - The Landlord Is Dead
-This is a Canadian band I’ve enjoyed for a long time. Great instrumental stuff. This one is one of their more aggressive songs, their other music can be a little soft, but this one packs a punch. (selected by Crist)

06 Ty Segall & Cory Hansen - She's A Beam
-Oliver and I saw Ty Segall in LA last August and I was blown away. Since then, I celebrate his entire catalogue. He’s prolific, releasing new music all the time, and this is the newest of the new. (selected by Crist)

07 The Aggrovators - Was Alive
-One of the greatest of the 70s Jamaican studio house bands. Their simplicity and heavy vibes lent perfectly to the creation of dub - they were there at the start. You can find this on the recently reissued album Prophecies Of Dub by Yabby You. From the Pressure Sounds label. (selected by McGuire)

08 The Flaming Lips - Flowers Of Neptune 6
-Old friends of mine set to release their next album in September, American Head. This song will be on that album. To be released on Sep 11 202 by Warner Bros Records. (selected by McGuire)

09 The Willis Brothers - Gimme Forty Acres (To Turn This Rig Around)
-I had to back a trailer up the other day and I always think of this song when I do that. I suck at backing trailers up. (selected by Oliver)

10 Dolly Parton  - Gonna Hurry (As Slow As I Can) (demo)
-If I could mold my daughter into anyone, it’s be Dolly Parton. She also happens to be amazingly slow whenever we’re in a rush. Dolly Dolly Dollywood! (selected by Crist)

10 Conan - Volt Thrower
-Conan is one of the greatest of North English fuzzed out doom bands. This track is from their most recent LP full of massively down-tuned dungeons and dragons books in riff form. (selected by Oliver)